Bridgeland / Riverside is located within easy walking distance of downtown Calgary. Its main boundary is defined by a steep escarpment on the west, north, and east, thereby separating it from its neighbouring residential communities of Crescent Heights and Renfrew. To the south is the Bow River, Memorial Drive and the Calgary Zoo. The historical development of the areas north of the bow River was enhanced by the construction of the Langevin Bridge in 1885. Even though and active community existed, it was not until 1910 that the area was annexed to Calgary. For many new Canadian immigrants, Bridgeland / Riverside became their first home. The German immigrants in the district of Riverside, and the Italian community housed in Bridgeland, had a significant influence on the development for its historic old homes, its views of the Downtown, Bow River Valley and Rocky Mountains and its European shops and restaurants.
Bridgeland has completed a full face lift on the site of the old General Hospital with a project called The Bridges. With condominiums, duplexes, single-family homes and Trendy shopping and restaurants,The Bridges is truly "Calgary Inner City" and a refreshing new community has sprung up with something for all age groups, and a much sought-after residential area.